Maui AIDS Foundation is now hiring for the following job positions:
Sexual Health Educator and Tester
Location: Wailuku, HI 96793
Job Title: Sexual Health Educator and Tester
Job Type: Fulltime
Salary: $17.00 per Hour
The Sexual Health Educator and Tester will provide HIV & STI related counseling, testing and education through harm reduction strategies. Job duties include but not limited to; Testing, Counseling and Educating for HIV, Hep-C, Syphilis, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia within Maui County. The Sexual Health Educator and Tester will conduct targeted outreach (traditional/face-to-face in the community and internet-based/virtual) to individuals living with HIV/AIDS and high-risk negative individuals, provide referrals, risk reduction interventions, condom distribution, and STD awareness, and testing.
· Ability to work with various ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds regarding issues of sexuality, HIV/AIDS, and STI’s in a culturally sensitive, non-judgmental and appropriate manner.
· Demonstrate ability to communicate clearly and appropriately both orally and in writing.
· Current knowledge or the willingness to learn current knowledge of HIV/AIDS and STD’s and the ability to translate complex information about controversial sexual and medical issues to individuals and groups with varied educational levels and backgrounds using the Project Respect Model.
· Computer literacy for word processing and basic database management, in addition to other computer skills.
· Facilitate HIV risk-reduction programs for the target populations to increase knowledge of and to reduce the risk of HIV transmission in the target population.
· Ability to implement behavior science models to affect change and harm reduction theory.
· Ability to rapid test individuals for HIV in accordance with Hawaii SAPB training and guidelines.
· Assist those testing positive in accessing medical care and case management.
· Ability to organize and maintain detailed records and files.
· Ability and willingness to support and adhere to program philosophy.
· Availability to work flexible hours to accommodate outreach, events, and program activities.
· Valid Driver’s License, own transportation, and proof of vehicle insurance.
· Ability to obtain a valid TB clearance
· Pass Background Check.
· Ability to lift 30 pounds, stand, bend and sit.
· Provide clear traffic abstract.
· References required.
· Previous experience in providing HIV & STD prevention education.
· Previous experience in implementing community programs.
· Basic knowledge of HIV/ STD.
· Provide HIV, HCV, Syphilis, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia counselling, testing and referral services using harm-reduction based counseling to targeted populations within the context of the agency’s HIV/STD prevention program policies in accordance with developing Prevention Community Planning Group guidelines, both in office and in off-site environments.
· HIV, HCV and Syphilis testing certification (Training provided by MAF/ HRSB)
· Participate in the coordination and staffing of HIV/STD information tables, informational events, special events, workshops, trainings and conferences in collaboration with the Prevention team.
· Document all prevention/education activities and maintain confidentiality of all client records.
· Ensure the fulfillment of objectives as specified in funding contracts and grants, and provide information for quarterly reporting narratives forms in a timely manner.
· Ability to work with those with substance abuse and those in the LGBTQ+ community.
· Participate in program evaluation and the ongoing development and documentation of comprehensive prevention policies and procedures.
· Attend weekly staff supervision meetings.
· Reach targeted populations, people living with HIV, high-risk men having sex with men, injection drug users, and their partners through internet outreach.
· Provide extended internet outreach that includes motivation-building and/or skill-building harm reduction which focuses on decreasing risk behaviors.
· Offer partner services and PrEP education to all positive clients.
· Provide data entry and program reports.
· Ability to work in the Correctional setting offering testing, counseling, and education.
· Provide HIV Counseling, Testing and Referrals to at-risk populations.
· Distribute condoms to target HIV-infected persons and persons at highest risk of acquiring HIV.
· Keep current with HIV/ STD prevention research, resources and trainings.
· Establish and maintain good working relationships with other HIV service providers within MAF and throughout the state.
· Ability to work in high stress environments
· Ability to work both independently and with a team
· Other duties as assigned by the Prevention Director’s.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume with three references who we may contact.
MAF is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identity, disability, sex or age.
COVID-19 considerations: All staff and clients are required to wear masks, have temperature checks and observe social distancing. All common surfaces are sanitized regularly and other safety protocols are followed.